I have a coworker who is extremely attractive by modern Indian/Bollywood standards: Tall, slim, fair. She lived in a big city in India, modeled at fashion shows while in college, did a couple of professional photo-shoots. She came to the US. This girl is now, guess what, a hijabi. Meaning she wears loose clothes and is covered head to toe. The only thing that is seen is the face and hands. That’s a CHOICE she made AGAINST her extended family’s wishes. She can wear anything in the presence of females, but hijab is to be observed in front of all men(except father, brother, uncle,father-in-law and of course husband). According to her, that’s because women don’t see you “that way”, but men do.
Here are some of her characteristics:
- I see her fuss every day at work, if her clothes are provocative. Every day she has a story about how she left in a hurry and forgot to either secure her hair inside her scarf or wear the scarf properly (such that it completely covers the neck and shoulders).
- She wears make-up at home to fulfill her desires of dressing up. According to her, dressing up FOR the husband gets her points (sawab) from God.
- She gets drawn to beautiful earrings until she realizes that ladies-party is not too often and they are not worth the price. She sighs. (The scarf covers her ears)
- She wants women to see her without her hijab and complement her face, body, hair and know how beautiful she is.
- Recently, she found out she’s pregnant and she’s VERY upset about her weight gain.
Yeah, right! Hijab liberates a woman.
P.S. There are lots of other things she has given up, but this post pertains specifically to hijab.